Well done to those of you who took part in the London Marathon! I hope you enjoyed what is a fantastic day and that all your hard work paid off!
After months of training I’m sure you understand how important all that preparation was. However, it is equally important for you now to help your body recover from your exertions. I hope many of you took advantage of the post marathon Sports Massages available on the day. Running 26.2 miles will cause significant muscle damage, the source of the soreness and stiffness you’ll be feeling in your legs! Walking down stairs may be particularly difficult..!
As well as being tired from the day, the months of gruelling training may well have created a lot of additional tension and muscle imbalances in your body. In addition to refuelling your body with the right nutrition it is important to get your muscles back working to optimum condition. This is where a Sport’s Massage can help.
I would advise you wait 1-2 days after the Marathon to have a Sports Massage, to allow any soreness to settle.
The benefits of massage after running a marathon (or any of prolonged physical exertion!)
- Increases circulation which allows precious nutrients to return to the muscles
- Restore muscle balance to optimal function
- Reduce areas of tension and adhesions that have built up
- Deliver fluids to tissue to help aid the repairing process
- Reduces muscle soreness and fatigue
- Restores joints range of movement
- Encourages connective tissue healing
- Helps stretch muscles